In the Word of God, there are many truths, insights, and stories that help to paint a clear picture of what a man is. They specifically paint a picture of what a godly man is. Now I should say very quickly, there is only one Man in all of the Word of God that perfectly paints such a picture for us. That man is, of course, the Lord Jesus Christ. He alone stands as our only perfect role model. He is the only man who lived a perfect life without sin.
There are, however, other individual characteristics that we find in some of the other men of the Bible that are definitely characteristics to be desired. In looking at the lives of many characters in the Bible, we learn important attributes and characteristics that men of God should seek to attain or receive into our lives as well.
Also, in this day and time, there is a tremendous need in the world for a clear understanding of what a real man – a godly man – is. And there is an outstanding need to paint a portrait of what a godly man looks like based on the wisdom of God’s precious Word.
What are some biblical characteristics, and some biblical standards that help us to see and define what a godly man looks like?
– He has received Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior of his life (John 3:16, and Romans 10:9).
– He seeks to be a man, like David, after God’s own heart (Psalm 23).
– He seeks to read the Word of God daily for himself (Psalm 1, Psalm 119:105).
– He spends time in prayer daily (Mark 1:35, Philippians 4:6,7, Daniel 6:10).
– He seeks to have time daily to bring the family together to read the Word of God, teach from the Word, and pray together (Deuteronomy 6:1 – 9, Ephesians 6:1–4).
– He makes time to train and instruct his children, teaching them about God, and the Word of God. (Deuteronomy 6:1–9, Proverbs 2:1–9, Proverbs 3:1–2, Proverbs 4:1–6).
– He seeks to lead and take his family to church regularly - such as worship service on Sundays and Bible studies on Wednesdays (Joshua 24:15, Hebrews 10:24-25).
– He has a sense of mission in his life. He seeks with a passion to fulfill the specific call of God on his life, whatever that calling may be (Romans 12:1-2, Colossians 3:1-3).
– He works hard to provide for his family (1 Timothy 5:8).
– He is a protector of his family (Matthew 1-2).
– He lives the life of a good role model for his family and others (Joshua 24:15).
– He has the wisdom and the courage to take responsibility and to deal with problems head-on. He takes responsibility and does not run from it (1 Chronicles 12:32).
A man, a godly man, has a love for God with the maturity and authority about him that sets him apart from the rest of the males in the world. A real man is seeking God and seeking to fulfill God’s purposes for his life. A real man has perspectives that are biblical and honorable.
A real man is someone who understands that women and girls are special and precious – and they are to be honored and protected by men. Real men understand that women are not objects to conquer or persons to be disrespected and used. A real man respects and honors women and girls. A real man does not take advantage of women. He respects women and will not be involved with a woman sexually unless he has won her heart and has put a ring on her finger in marriage.
The world in which we live is in need of faithful godly men. Pray that God will raise up many of them who understand the important place and call of God upon them to be men after God’s own heart in their home and in society and culture as well.
Joseph Parker. This article originally appeared on the Stand.