Topics
Navigation
Connect
DONATE
About Engage

Engage exists to provide perspective on culture through the eyes of a Biblical worldview, showing how that worldview intersects with culture and engages it.

We are a team of 20-somethings brought together by a common faith in Jesus Christ and employment in our parent organization American Family Association

The promise of a secure border

12/18/2018
Walker Wildmon
Assistant to President of AFA

In July President Trump wrote, “I would be willing to ‘shut down’ government if the Democrats do not give us the votes for Border Security, which includes the Wall! Must get rid of Lottery, Catch & Release etc. and finally, go to a system of Immigration based on MERIT! We need great people coming into our Country!” It appears that the July promise might come to fruition in the coming days considering Congress must pass various budget bills before December 21. The president has doubled down on this promise as recent as last week.

President Trump campaigned and arguably won the election in 2016 based on one promise, the promise that he would build a wall on the southern border. He also promised that Mexico would pay for it. The need for a wall is obvious. Every day, thousands of illegal immigrants flow across America’s border and continue to put a strain on our legal and financial system. Immigration judges are overloaded and each year the U.S. government sends billions of our taxpayer dollars to Illegal immigrants in the form of welfare.

For decades, both Republican and Democrat politicians have failed to secure America’s borders. The responsibility rest on the shoulders of those who have failed to act and solve the immigration crisis we face. The responsibility also rests with those from foreign countries who continue to abuse our system and generosity.

In recent weeks, the media has said that the “government will shut down” if President Trump and the Democrats can’t agree on the wall funding. This is a half-truth. Half of the appropriation budgets for 2019 have already been signed by the President. In the worst case scenario, only 15% of the government would shut down. The other 85% of the government’s budget for various departments is on auto-pilot because it is considered to be vital. Is a partial government shutdown a good thing? Of course not but it is not a doomsday situation like some would have you believe.

In the coming days, if Congress fails to give President Trump his proposed $5 billion in border wall funding then he should veto this legislation and shut down the government. If we don’t get border wall money now, we might never get it considering the democrats will control the House of Representatives after the New Year. If the president will do this I believe it will force the democrats to give the president what he promised the American people, a secure border.

How To Find Peace When God Makes You Wait 08/20/2019 | Myra Gilmore

God has not left you hanging. He will lead you and direct you when the time is right.

Assume the Best in Your Spouse 08/21/2019 | Teddy James

The best piece of wisdom I ever heard concerning marriage.

What Proverbs 31 has to Say About Career 08/20/2019 | Hannah Harrison

Are Christians free to build a career rather than a family?